Thursday, April 14, 2016

My First Vacation Video!

Every time Mike and I go on a trip, our families want to hear all about it. But with most of my family living in Poland, I have to email the photos. I can only fit five photos in one email so I either bombard them with huge emails or severely pare down the details. I don't have Facebook so I can't make an album with all our photos. I started brainstorming ways I can get the point across in a fun easy way. It was either upload a bunch of photos to an FTP site (boring!), print them and mail them, or make a little slideshow video. Now I just had to send a short little email with the YouTube link to our families and that's it.

These vacation recap videos also let Mike and I remember trips without sifting through hundreds of photos from one weekend. I take a LOT of photos on vacations. Mike hates it as I'm taking them (especially the selfies!) but I know in the end he's happy that we have them to look back on. This way we can stroll down memory lane in a few minutes with a fun, cheery soundtrack.

So without further ado, here's my first ever vacation video!


It recaps our trip to Chapel Hill, which I chatted about in more detail here. I grouped the photos and videos into similar categories, as chronologically as possible. For example, I put all photos of our hotel together and all the photos of the UNC campus together. Trust me, there were way more, but I chose a few photos from each category to get the point across.

I used iMovie to compile everything, which is the default video editing software on my Mac. I actually found the program to be very user-friendly and intuitive. There was definitely a learning curve but most of it was self-explanatory. For the parts I couldn't figure out,  I turned to YouTube tutorials (of course!) I used a default audio track from iMovie but I think next time I would like to explore other music options. And I think it would be fun to have a few more videos in there as well.


I hope to make these little videos for future vacations and maybe other milestones in our lives. Have you made a video to remember something special before? If so, send me the link in the comments!

12 comments:

  1. I love making videos of our vacations too! And iMovie is how I do it too... Very user friendly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I sooo want to make one of these for our next trip! What a fun idea!

    Annessa
    www.seekingsunshine.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great vacation! And lover your video too. So much fun to have memories captured like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genius idea, girl! Plus you are going to loooove having these videos to look back on anytime you want a trip down memory lane ;) Also, you two are so darling together!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You did a great job!! This is a great idea for remembering vacations and sharing them with friends/family.
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun!?! I've never made a vacation video but that's such a good idea to recap your travels and watch it whenever you want a trip down memory lane! It's also perfect to share with friends and family! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! Your video is super professional looking!!

    xo, Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a good idea- I love how it turned out and it definitely makes sharing your trip so much easier for others to see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so awesome! I don't have a mac, so I'm not sure that I would be able to use that program, but I've been wanting to find some kind of movie making software. Thank you for sharing yours with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will have to come back and watch this!!! It's not playing right on my computer. So exciting first vacation recap on a video!

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you made this video for a recap of your vacation! I've never done one but I always wanted to try. I think it's a great way to show people a short recap of your trip with all the highlights built in.
    If you don't mind me asking, how come you don't have a Facebook? I love Facebook for sharing pictures with family near and far!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, "Take Me Home Country Roads"... totally a classic! And necessary to listen to on repeat while driving through West Virginia. ;) Love this video! You did a great job, girl!

    ReplyDelete