Thursday, April 28, 2016

Guys Behind The Blog: April

It's that time again! Mike once again so kindly agreed to answer some questions for the Guys Behind the Blog link-up. I get so many comments that his answers are so detailed and I absolutely love hearing what he has to say every time. I would never think to ask some of these questions myself. 
Here we go!

Q: In what ways are you the same as your childhood self?
A: As a child, I was always very into things. I had a lot of things that I would become interested in and would get crazy immersed in. I liked sports cards, and spent every waking minute thinking about and buying sports cards. Then it was pogs. Then it was wrestling. That really hasn't changed. I've always liked sports, but as an adult my interest has really intensified. In that sense, I'm very similar to when I was a child. When I get into something, I'm all in. I don't really see my interest in sports being a passing interest like the fads of my youth given that it's always been a part of my life, but my level of interest mirrors how I felt about things I cared about when I was young.


Q: What does family mean to you?
A: Family means everything to me. I can honestly say that if it wasn't for our family, we'd no longer be living in Canada. The thought of being far away from our family was just too much to overcome, despite the overwhelming list of "pros" on the side of moving to the States. Some events of the last couple of weeks have taught me to never take for granted time with those we love. 



Q: How would your family or closest friends describe you?
A: This is a pretty tough question to answer, because I know what I'd want them to say - which of course are all the most flattering things about my personality - but it seems pretty arrogant to say all those things about myself! I'd hope they'd describe me as loyal, thoughtful, caring, passionate, obsessive, brave, calm, analytical, hilariously sarcastic, and adventurous. 

Q: What’s your fondest childhood memory?
A: I was blessed to have a really spectacular childhood. It's really tough to narrow down to one specific childhood memory, but two things that I'll always cherish are family vacations, and how my older brother always included me in his activities. While I'd never been on a plane until I was 21 years old, family road trips were a staple of my youth. We had family in Erie, PA who we visited often whenever we had a long weekend. I still get nostalgic whenever we're driving towards Erie on I-90 on our way to Pittsburgh. We also made other road trips to places like Virginia, Florida, New York, and Boston. While at times when you have all of your family in such close quarters there will be conflict, those memories and experiences are priceless.

My brother was also the best older brother I could ask for. Even though he was 8 years older than me, he'd always include me in his plans with his friends. If he and his friends went out to play basketball, he brought me along. If they went out to watch a wrestling event, I was invited. If he and his friends went to the mall, he'd bring me. When he played on baseball teams, I always ended up hanging out in the dugout or working as their bat boy. And I feel like I should add that this wasn't a case of my parents asking him to include me, he voluntarily included me. I will always be grateful and always consider him to be not only my brother but my best friend.


Q: What words of wisdom would pass on to your childhood self?
A: I'd tell my child self that things will not always come easy and that if you want to be the best you can be that you need to work at it. I wasn't the most motivated as a kid, and that's something that still plagues me now. I was fortunate enough that some things came easily and I could have success without working as hard as I could, but to be all that I could possibly be, I should have put forth a greater effort.

18 comments:

  1. I love how thoughtful his answers are. Aww!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute picture of you guys! I love his detailed answers, too. I’m surprised Nate’s aren’t more detailed because he is a talker. So sweet. You can tell how important family is to him. And I had tears in my eyes reading about his big brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg pogs! haha I loved those and think I still have a few I could never part with. Loved reading this and the relationship with his older brother is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great little interview! I love this as a post idea!

    Annessa
    www.seekingsunshine.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. He has such carefully thought out answers to all of the questions and I love that! He sounds like a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i wasn't motivated as a kid either, i don't mind though because it really did show me the value of hard work :) his answers are so on point, KC would be more like 'yeah, no, good, bad'. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously his answers ARE detailed! I love his response about his brother.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man! Pogs! Yes. My brother and I totally collected those. And my brother loved sports cards... or was is something else? He collected these cards and we'd ALWAYS have to go to the store to see if there were new ones but I can't remember what kind they were now!
    Your wedding picture... is that his mom? I LOVE LOVE that they are holding hands! You really can truly tell that family is everything to him. He's going to be such a good dad one day!
    Love your Guys Behind the Blog graphic! I so need to mess around with Canva!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore Mike and his brother's relationship! That is what I hope for my girls!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute post! Love all of his answers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet post! I think it is so sweet that his older brother included him in all of his activities! That is a real rarity among siblings! Have a great weekend!
    xo, Whitney and Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love Mike's answer about family - that is so sweet! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  13. First off I absolutely love your photo for this series!!! And your wedding photo, gorgeous!

    And Mike's older brother sounds like the best! Does he have a current photo of him and his brother? That should be framed :)

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea for a blog post series! I remember all of our family road trips, too... so many memories were made!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a fun post and a huge YES to the Yankees gear he was rockin' as a kiddo! Happy Friday gurlie <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cute post idea! Such sweet photos too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love this series!! what a great idea. loved learning more about the guy behind the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such great answers. I've always been the same way. I am not one to do anything half heartedly. I love that he mentioned his brother too.

    ReplyDelete