Monday, March 7, 2016

FH Travels: North Carolina (December 2014) - Part Two

Hello, hello! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! 

I am back to recapping our trip to North Carolina from last year. It was a while ago, but with March Madness nearing closer and closer, it has me reminiscing about our trip down South. In case you missed it, here's part one where I cover the main attraction: touring University of North Carolina.

Anytime we go anywhere, we always try to take in as much as possible. This was our first time in North Carolina and while Chapel Hill was our main destination, we really wanted to see as much of the surrounding area as possible. We visited Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Wilmington, and even Rock Hill, SC.

Charlotte
Charlotte is the largest city in North Carolina and one we were both really excited to visit. We were only there for a couple of days but we managed to see quite a bit. We went to the Levine Museum of the New South to get a taste of some of the area's history. We also had tickets to a Hornets game at the Time Warner Cable arena, which was right next to our hotel. 





Durham
Mike's love for the Tar Heels grows more and more everyday but I managed to convince him to visit the Duke University in Durham. It was a struggle dragging him there, let me tell you. And I was legitimately worried that our car would get vandalized because of our UNC-related custom licence plate. The Duke campus was actually stunning (Mike disagrees) and reminded me of parts of my alma mater's campus. A visit to one rival's campus was already more than he wanted so I wasn't successful in seeing NC State or Wake Forest.



Wilmington
Wilmington is a smaller city on the North Carolina coast and probably my favourite out of all the places we saw on our road trip. We were there on New Year's Day so everything was closed but we still explored a lot. Our first stop was Laney High School, where Michael Jordan attended. We even got to peek inside the gym! Jenelle Evans (Teen Mom) is also from the area but sadly, we didn't see either of them. But we did get to see a few palm trees! This was wildly exciting because we have to travel really far from Ontario to see them. At one point, I even Googled "Northernmost palm tree in America." I also really hoped to tour a true Southern mansion but sadly the Bellamy Mansion was closed. It was really beautiful from the outside though!





Wrightsville Beach
Just east of Wilmington is Wrightsville Beach. We didn't dip our toes in the Atlantic Ocean because, winter, but it was nice to spend a little bit of time hanging out on a beach. Again, not something we are overly familiar with in Ontario. Beach towns are so pretty and I would love to come back here in the summertime! 





Rock Hill
The last spot I will recap is Rock Hill, South Carolina. My birthday happened to fall on one of the days of our trip, and Mike promised that we could do absolutely anything I wanted that day. And because I'm all about YOLO, I wanted to visit South Carolina. Basically just so that we could say we stepped foot in another state. Rock Hill is the first city after the NC/SC border and didn't have much to see because it was raining, but being there was exciting enough. I would have pushed to drive even further to Columbia but we sadly didn't have enough time.



Mike and I hope to make it out to North Carolina again in the next year or two for some more UNC time (him) and explorations (me). If you're from the area, I would love to hear your recommendations on what we should do or see!

21 comments:

  1. Duke looks so pretty!!! What a gorgeous picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun trip! Love how you guys visited other universities and nearby beach towns too <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to NC but I've heard it's a pretty state! Wrightsville Beach looks amazing! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  4. North Carolina has some beautiful places. Duke's campus is so pretty! I had so much fun in Charlotte when I went to visit my friend who lived there. She moved to up Raleigh and can't wait to go visit her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like so much fun!!! I love touring new towns especially beach towns! Isn't Wilmington also where Dawson's Creek was filmed?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would LOVE to do a trip like this! I've actually never been to North Carolina so I want to see everything! Glad you guys had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun trip! I love NC and have been there so many times with work and pleasure. There's so many things to do and every city is different. The Duke campus is beautiful, too funny that you barely got there.

    Xoxo,
    Whitney & Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic getaway! I have never been North Carolina either but I have a friend who lives there, this really makes me want to go! Hope your week is off to great start

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to visit Charlotte and Wilmington soon! We haven't explored our surroundings nearly enough yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love Charlotte!! We go up there for concerts sometimes! And I have several friends in Rock Hill. You're almost down in my neck of the woods! (I'm in Georgia).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Y'all (true NC speak) hit all the good places. I must agree with your husband though, there is nothing pretty about Duke's campus. Other places I recommend, Blowing Rock, NC in the mountains and the Outer Banks along the coast. There are lots of little towns scattered throughout the Outer Banks that are full of history. I'm so glad the Heels won Saturday night! I know you and your husband were freaking out as much as me and my family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like y'all had so much fun exploring North and South Carolina! That's funny that you were a little worried about driving through the Duke campus with all of your UNC stuff on your car!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Y'all covered a lot of ground! Rock Hill makes me laugh because I have a few good friends in Charleston from there. Haha, I can't say we've ever been, though. We normally will just visit Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've lived in NC for 4 years now and haven't been to any of those places! haha Every time we have some time off we always go North (Maryland or NY)... usually to visit family! I would love to check out Raleigh or Wilmington though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. North Carolina is such a cool spot! I love the architecture there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Im beyond impressed by you jet setters (uh car drivers?) You travel more in a year than I have my whole life lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have always wanted to visit North Carolina. One of my top 5 states I must visit!

    ReplyDelete
  18. If you can swing it next time you're in NC: Asheville. Hands down. It has mountains (Blue Ridge), a beautiful old estate (Biltmore), insanely delicious food and a ton of microbreweries. I love your traveling/sightseeing spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ok so I'm realizing I'm a little confused about the timeline of this visit but it doesn't matter because all that matters is that next time you're in my home state/town (hello Wilmington!!) you MUST let me know. ESPECIALLY if you're in Wilmington. I was born&raised there, I think I'd be an ok tour guide ;) Summer is super "touristy" but it's such a great place to be in the summer. This past year and a half I've been 3 hours away I have missed it so much. Fun fact...in 2008 I was the Azalea Festival Princess. HA! It's a pageant they hold for all the local seniors (now it's juniors) and I actually won! It was so fun! I got to have my own float in the parade that went right before the Queen. Good times :P Brit's donuts on Carolina Beach is a must for sure. They're only open part of the year so checking the dates before you plan a visit is wise. No seriously, they're that good! And can I just say, it is the most precious thing ever how much you appreciate seeing a palm tree. IT reminds me not to take anything, even something I might have seen every day of my life pretty much, for granted. Love this post! Thanks for easing some home sickeness <3

    ReplyDelete