Friday, January 22, 2016

FH Travels: NYC (December 2015) - Part Three

Happy Friday everyone!

It's time for the final instalment of my NYC trip recap. I tried to divide it up by geographical location as much as possible to avoid bouncing around, like we actually did in our trip. We went Uptown to Downtown and back more times than I can count in just one day. In part one, I talked about our shenanigans in Brooklyn and part two was all about Uptown. So to avoid spamming you with any more photos after today, I am jamming everything else in this post.

In all honesty, I took well over 700 photos and it was super hard for me to select just a handful to share. But these posts also help me get a quick recap of our trips without spending a ton of time looking over every single photo when I feel like going down memory lane.

So let's start with what was my main reason for wanting to go to New York in December: skating at Rockefeller Center. This was on my bucket list and I am so incredibly happy to have done it. The tree is so gigantic and beautiful and going skating there with my husband felt as magical as I imagined it would. We went first thing in the morning (7am!) and watched the sun rise as we hit the ice in our rented skates.





Last time we visited New York, we saw Chicago on Broadway and it was phenomenal. I really wanted to see a show again and what better performance to watch during Christmas than the Radio City Christmas Spectacular? The Rockettes were amazing!! As a little girl I took dance and always thought the Rockettes were the creme de la creme. And they certainly did not disappoint.



New York dressed up really well for the holidays. There were decorations everywhere and the store displays were beautiful! We watched a gorgeous light show on the facade of the Saks Fifth Avenue building that was something like I have never seen before. Despite there being no snow (and record high temperatures!) the city definitely did a wonderful job keeping the holiday spirit alive.






I love that photo of the Washington Square Arch. I said this about a million times during our stay, but this may have been my favourite spot in the whole city.

To round out our trip, we visited the neighbourhood of Greenpoint, which is known as "Little Poland." Apparently it has the second largest Polish community in the United States. It was so nice to pop into some Polish stores, speak with some Polish locals, and buy a couple Polish grocery items. I was born in Poland and since moving to Canada, my family has always lived in areas that are heavily populated with other Polish immigrants. I went to Polish School on the weekends, we ate Polish cuisine and shopped at Polish stores but I noticed that the majority of cities in the States don't have these things available. (If you know of any in your area, please let me know!) It was so nice to walk through Greenpoint and be surrounded by others who share the same life experiences as me.


So that's it. That's our trip in what is one of the best cities in the whole wide world. I really love it so much and envy those who are fortunate to live there! While I can't wait to go back, it probably won't be for a long while, and that's ok. We have so many other places we want to visit and for now I am getting my New York fix by watching Gossip Girl.

Thanks for reading about our little vacation and I hope you have a wonderful (hopefully not too snowy, for those who might be affected by Winter Storm Jonas) weekend!

12 comments:

  1. I'm slightly jealous you got to skate at Rockefeller center - that's so much fun!! I didn't know that about Greenpoint - so fun! So glad you had such a wonderful vacation! xo, biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just can’t beat New York around the holidays! It’s such a fun city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a really fun holiday! I am so jealous, I would love to go to NYC at Christmas!! Great pictures! Have a wonderful weekend!

    Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fun trip! I love the arch and tree photo. Is that an insider/ beat the crowds tip to go skating so early?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh you are seriously making me think I need to go to NYC in the winter! It's SO pretty! I love all the lights and Christmas decor! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  6. New York looks so beautiful during the holidays. I would love to skate at Rockefeller Center.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been too long since I've seen NYC during Christmas-I need to go soon! I would love to see the Rockettes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had such a great vacay in my city! You're making me miss seeing all of the Christmas decorations around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh!!! You totally lived things on my bucket list too! I may just have to plan a trip to NYC during the holidays one year. Maybe for my 35th birthday in a few years?? I think so :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Looks like your trip was so much fun!! I've never been to NY but I've always wanted to! Happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. Your coat is great - where is that from? 2. Although not one of the very largest populations in the US, there is a strong Polish community in Parma, near Cleveland, Ohio (I grew up in Cleveland). That's where I discovered pierogis!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seeing the Rockettes is my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete