Thursday, December 3, 2015

Recipe: Polish Apple Pie (Szarlotka)

Today I am linking up for the Christmas Dessert & Tacky Sweaters linkup hosted by Whitney, Elizabeth, Jamie, and Courtney. I am so excited for this one because I am always looking for new recipes to make during the holidays!

The rules are to bake one of your favourite Christmas desserts while wearing an ugly Christmas sweater and share it! I somewhat cheated because I am not wearing my Christmas sweaters in the photos. I actually made this dessert for Thanksgiving and took a ton of photos then to send to my grandma in Poland. It was my first time making it using her recipe and she wanted to see! I hope you don't mind the ten thousand photos in this post.

In the spirit of the link-up, here's a sweater that I love to wear every December. Home Alone is my favourite Christmas movie and this line is obviously a classic!


On to the dessert.

This is a Polish version of apple pie, szarlotka in Polish. (Pronounced shar-lot-ka) We don't only make it for Christmas but it's always on the Christmas menu. I am going to try to compare polish apple pie to english apple pie.  Polish apple pie is less sweet, less chunky, less syrupy, and has less crust. Awful description but you can really only understand by tasting both.


You will need: flour, margarine, sugar, baking powder, egg, egg yolk, apples, cinnamon, and powdered sugar

There's a complete recipe below, but here's step by step instructions with photos:

1. Knead flour, margarine, sugar, baking powder, egg, and egg yolk together



2. Freeze half. Spread other half on bottom of greased pan. This will be your bottom crust.

3. Bake at 350F until golden and remove.


4. Peel and shred apples.



5. Add sugar and cinnamon to shredded apples and pour evenly on top of crust.


6. Remove remaining dough from freezer and grate on top of apples, forming the top crust. Grandma's tip: Do this quickly as the heat from your hand will warm up the dough and make it more difficult to shred.



7. Bake at 350F for 1 hour.


8. Sprinkle powdered sugar, cool, and enjoy!



_______________________________________________________


POLISH APPLE PIE (szarlotka)

- 5 cups flour
- 250g margarine
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 0.5 kg apples
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar

*This recipe fills a 9x9 pan
  1. Knead flour, margarine, sugar, baking powder, egg, and egg yolk together
  2. Freeze half. Spread other half on bottom of greased pan. This will be your bottom crust.
  3. Bake at 350F until golden and remove.
  4. Peel and shred apples.
  5. Add 2 tbsp sugar and 2 tbsp cinnamon to shredded apples and pour evenly on top of crust.
  6. Remove remaining dough from freezer and grate on top of apples, forming the top crust. Grandma's tip: Do this quickly as the heat from your hand will warm up the dough and make it more difficult to shred. 
  7. Bake at 350F for 1 hour.
  8. Sprinkle powdered sugar, cool, and enjoy!
Please please let me know if you try this recipe! My grandmother would be so proud!

14 comments:

  1. This sounds so good! Love your sweater, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I would dread shredding all those apples, it totally looks worth it! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing!!! I want it now- I'm assuming it doubles as a breakfast food too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I'm adding this to my list of items to bake this season! My husband would love me (more) forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sweater is awesome! Love your description, less syrupy got me because that's the one part of apple pie I don't care for. These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the sweater & that dessert looks marvelous...I want it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, this looks delish! I've never heard of this kind of pie, but now I totally want to make it. I'm licking the screen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks scrumptious! Pinning it for later! And I love your ugly sweater!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. FINALLY!!! I want to make this so bad! Thank you for sharing :) I'm not a big fan of American pie (is that being unpatriotic?) so I know I will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks amazing - my grandmother made a similar one but I guess the Russian version when I was growing up! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! These look amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sweet that you used a family recipe and sent lots of pictures to your grandma! I've never had any but it sounds great. Can't beat trying new desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh this looks so good- I don't think I've ever had anything too similar, but I'm tempted to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete