Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Weekending: Thanksgiving

This was a long weekend here for Canada because Monday was Thanksgiving! I was curious why we don't celebrate on the same day as our neighbours to the South and found that it's mainly because it gets colder earlier here so we must celebrate the fall harvest sooner. Here's a good quick explanation.
Anyway, the weekend was filled with family, food, and stretchy pants. I may need to think about one of those juice cleanses I keep hearing about because there was a LOT of eating.

I started the weekend off with a hair appointment to touch up my highlights. Perfect timing! I love love love those first few days when my colour is the freshest. It's all about that toner for me.
The first huge dinner was hosted by Mike's parents. My mother-in-law's cooking is always amazing and her tablespread would definitely get a thumbs up from Martha.
That blazer thingy is my current favourite item of clothing. It has a handkerchief hem and is super flattering. It's from Target by xhilaration and I had to have it the second I saw it. Of course I can't find the link, but if you see it, get it!!

After dinner, we had a little family play-doh session hosted by my 2.5 year old niece. I got in the holiday spirit and made these:
I loved spending time with my niece and brand new nephew (his first holiday!) It's so true when people say that kids make the holidays more fun. I just love seeing them grow and experience new things.

On Sunday, my mom and brother arrived bright and early. And the cooking started right away. I was very eager to get my hands really dirty this year and really make most of the food. My mom was mainly supervising and directing the show. We started with making tranditional Polish apple pie, aka szarlotka. It differs quite a bit from the apple pie that is known in North America and while both are delicious, I prefer the Polish one because it's what I grew up with. We used my grandmother's recipe and it turned out amazing, like always. But this was the first time I made it pretty much on my own! So we had to skype my grandmother during the process to prove that her first grandchild isn't useless haha!



Next came the turkey. Again, I had never really tackled this on my own so I made sure to be as involved as possible with the preparation. I tried my best to limit my mom's help to verbal instructions!


The Polish soccer game was on during all of this so the boys were glued to the TV and my mom and I cheered on from the kitchen. It was a very exciting game and we won!! This means that Poland is officially in Euro2016!!!! (don't worry, lots of football and playoff baseball was watched as well!)
Everything turned out amazing and we were stuffed afterwards. For my American blogger friends, the menu is pretty much all the same. We had turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, butternut squash, corn, and pumpkin and apple pie.
On Monday, everyone was still wearing their comfy pants and we went to go throw a football around. In my case, it was more like chasing a football around because those things are way harder to catch than it looks. And then topped it off with a nice long walk. It was so nice to be outside with beautiful warm weather.



Ok that's it. So many photos. I may do a separate post on the apple pie and how we made our turkey.

Hope all my fellow Canadians had a very wonderful Thanksgiving weekend!

16 comments:

  1. Wow that last photo is gorg! The apple dish sounds awesome! Think grandma would let you blog the recipe for szarlotka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great thanksgiving weekend! I can't wait for thanksgiving here in the states. P.S. Your hair looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like such a fantastic holiday celebration - I'm really craving Thanksgiving now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The leaves!!! I never knew why Canada had a different Thanksgiving than us. Makes sense now. Love the table spread! Sounds like you guys had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you had such a great holiday! Those leaves are gorgeous and the table settings look beautiful! And you're pretty talented with that Play Do! Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im so glad you explained why its celebrated earlier in Canada, I always wondered! Would you be willing to ahare your polish apple pie recipe? Im digging the square shape :) You always find the best items at Target! And girl, your hair looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love your table settings! So perfect!

    xx
    thelilacpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy late Thanksgiving! Just reading this post made me excited for Thanksgiving here in the States. Your place setting is absolutely beautiful and I love your hair color. It's flawless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tablescape was so beautiful and your hair looks amazing!! So glad you had a wonderful thanksgiving holiday - it got me excited for ours next month!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! Love the tablescapes. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, such a nice holiday weekend for you. The table settings at both meals were great. Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Thanksgiving to you...all that food looks lovely. And the place setting is awesome!

    Melissa | So About What I Said

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy (belated) Thanksgiving to you! Gorgeous photos of the fall colors. And I LOVE your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like such a great Thanksgiving, and thanks for the explanation! I really was wondering why you celebrated so early compared to us. The way you celebrate thanksgiving is awesome and looks like so much fun.

    By the way your play doh pumpkin...yeah I thought it was real for a moment.

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your hair looks gorgeous!! Love the table settings and that last photo is the epitome of fall! Beyond gorgeous~

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was going to ask why Canada celebrates Thanksgiving on a different day and you answered it! Glad you had a great meal (Can't wait for US thanksgiving!!) and your hair is gorgeous, I love the color Evelina!
    xo, Candace | Lovely Little Rants

    ReplyDelete