Thursday, June 18, 2015

Blonde Ambition

I have naturally dirty blonde hair that, in my opinion, is pretty colourless. I used to have much lighter hair when I was younger but it sadly darkened and now I have to fake it. I have been getting blonder highlights since I was allowed to start colouring my hair in 9th grade. So a pretty long time. Minus a one year period that I thought it would be fun to live life as a brunette. I found the upkeep unmanageable so I returned to my blonde roots (literally).

This equals countless hours in a salon chair. If you have ever gotten highlights done, you know it's at least a three hour commitment. Three hours times four times a year times thirteen years equals almost 160 hours in the chair in total. Wow. That (very approximate) math is mindblowing. Anyway, over time I have picked up a few tips from various hairdressers on how to maintain the best colour until my next visit.


- First of all, I strongly don't recommend DIYing a lighter hue. I have never tried it but I have seen my friends try it on their own and they were never pleased with the results. I say, leave the chemicals to the professionals. Working with bleach and toner is serious stuff and I think it's left to experienced, professional, educated hands. It may be a little bit more expensive, but it's so worth it.

- Figure out what shade works best for you. There are so many options when it comes to blonde. From platinum to honey and everything in between. My best advice here is to find celebs with the same skin tone as you and see what works best on them.

- Depending on the shade you're going for, you may need toner. Toner helps get rid of the brassy tones. This time around I got a longer toner treatment done to accomplish more of an ashy rather than yellowish colour. Toner also helps to add shine and seals your hair to help your colour last longer.

- Use shampoo specific for blondes. I use the John Freida purple shampoo once a week after I get fresh colour done and then amp it up to a couple times a week closer to my next appointment. Because purple is opposite yellow on the colour wheel, it combats the yellow and helps maintain your salon colour.

- It's no secret that bleach is somewhat harmful to your hair. Make sure to get regular trims to keep those ends happy and healthy!

- Don't be drastic. As I mentioned, I went dark for a little while and when I wanted to go back to blonde, I had to do it very gradually. It's important to take things slow to not shock your hair. Try to go only a few shades lighter at a time to avoid shocking and damaging your hair.



I am in no way an expert, just thought I would share some of the things I learned over the years. Having a trusting relationship with your hair stylist is the best thing you can have. He or she will hopefully steer you in the right direction and tell you what is best for your hair.

Are you blonde? Got any more tips on the subject? Got any blonde jokes? Just kidding. Blonde jokes make me mad.

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I'm naturally a dark blonde (I think), but go much lighter too. I've played around with brunette and red a few times, but I think I'll always come back to being a blonde. Great tips! Now I need to get some of that purple shampoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank youuuu!! I bleach the living daylights out of my hair so I am always in need of tips!! I use a purple shampoo from sallys, it smells kind a grandma but it works so well!! haha I started doing a little ombre at the top so that my roots aren't so prominent when they grow out!
    xo, Candace | Lovely Little Rants

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are awesome tips! Coming from a professional's point of view I'm so glad that you said leave the blonding up to the pro! I get so sad for people that have orange or canary yellow hair because they used a box.

    ReplyDelete